Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Summer Adventures with Save The Bay

By Dan Blount, BayCamp Director

Growing up, I was lucky enough to spend all of my summers on Prudence Island. My Mom was a teacher, and we would be ferrying to Prudence on the last day of school, and would not head back until two or three days before the next school year. I would be kicked out of the house by nine every morning, and would not come back until dinner time. I spent my days fishing, swimming, exploring and having fun with my friends. At the age of 14, I bought my first boat, and my friends and I would go everywhere in it. We explored every inch of the island coastline.

Because we spent the whole summer on Prudence, I never attended camp as a child, so I had no idea what to expect when I took over as Camp Director of Save the Bay. What I did know was that if I could provide campers with even a small view of my experiences as a child, they would have an unforgettable time. My goal when we board the boat in the morning is do something that both the campers, and sometimes the staff, has never done. Some of our adventures from last year included floating down the creek at Cog shell cove with the tide, blue crab hunting on Prudence and our cannon ball contest off of M/V Elizabeth Morris anchored off Barrington Beach.

The BayCamp program at Save the Bay offers a truly unique experience. Giving our campers the ability to learn about marine science and Narragansett Bay, all while having fun is very important. Too often, kids would rather stay inside and watch tv or play on the computer, and we hope that by introducing them to how fun the Bay can be, it will encourage them to get out and explore the Bay.

Our BayCamps are for kids grades K-12 (completed), and are based out of Providence, Wickford, Newport and Bristol. You can see the full summer schedule on our website. For any questions about camps, please contact me, Dan Blount, at DBlount@SaveBay.org.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment